- Job Reference – GE11461a
No. of Openings – 6
Job Type – Permanent Full-Time
This structured Degree Apprenticeship will give successful candidates the opportunity to study for a degree whilst working on exciting and challenging work placements.
What will I do?
In year 1 you will attend the software apprentice training programme where you will be trained by Software Engineers who are experts in their fields.
The training is designed to allow you to continually build on the skills that are being taught. This ranges from core programming skills, general software design techniques (such as object-oriented programming and design methodologies), to project management, business analysis and formalised software development processes, including the Agile process.
Years 2 and 3 will be dedicated to placements within software development groups throughout Renishaw which allow you to work on real projects and products.
Year 4 will allow you to specialise in a specific field within the company.
You will be based at our Charfield site, close to Wotton-under-Edge, Gloucestershire. During the apprenticeship you may be required to work at other Gloucestershire sites, our Stone site in Staffordshire, as well as our Miskin plant in South Wales.
What qualifications will I gain?
You will study towards a BSc in Digital and Technology Solutions via blended learning with the University of Exeter.
The University of Exeter programme is a four-year course delivered through a blended learning model which includes:
• 3 residential stays of approximately 3 days’ duration, held at the University. This will include lecture, tutorial and workshop time, as well as opportunity to meet peers from other employers. Accommodation and transport will be arranged by Renishaw.
• Online learning to be undertaken during the working week (typically up to one day per week), including web seminars, interactive activities, reading and assessments.
• Reflective practice, assessing project work undertaken in the workplace.
For further information on the course please go to: http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/computerscience/digital-technology-apprenticeship/
What are the entry requirements?
• Either three A levels at AAB, with at least one in either Maths or Physics, and a second in a Computer Science related subject;
• OR a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma at DDD, in a Computer Science related subject.
• Preference will be given to applicants who can demonstrate practical exposure to programming.
• Good written and verbal communication skills.
• A genuine desire to become an exceptional Software Engineer.
• A full UK driving licence as travel to other sites and university will be needed.
1. Apply online with a covering letter and CV – the deadline for applications is Friday 1st March 2019.
2. Interview and assessment day– if you are selected you will be invited to attend a full day at Renishaw’s New Mills site. You will have an interview, individual assessments, a team exercise and site tour, along with the opportunity to talk to some apprentices currently in the scheme. This will be held in late-March/early-April 2019.
3. Offers will be made in April 2019.
Please note you must have the right to live and work in the UK/EU to apply.